Chocolate, orange and fantasy

My dark chocolate Panna cotta with Fleur de sel, a warm citrus caramel(syrup), orange segments, chocolate soil and mint.

Food is joy, food is sorrow, food is entertainment; but for me? Well I would say food is emotions on a plate. It’s funny how our emotions manage to seep in and make that guilty indulgence turn to a story of satisfaction and complacency. And maybe here’s when food plays the part of landing us in oblivion and much needed fantasy with every bite we take.

This food story might as well be the strongest of mine because it has been backed up by an impeccable sense of satisfaction  and a food pairing that never fails to impress. Apart from how beautifully two ingredients can fit in, this instance has taught me that nothing turns out better than a dish backed up by a strong urge of achievement.

Like any other anecdote of impulsive cooking, this instance started with, “Now those are fruits I have to cook with.” There are times when we see something and we know right away what to do. In this case it would be hard for anyone to resist the small, sweet and fragrant mandarin oranges that landed right on my kitchen table. It’s enchanting how things like small oranges can light up the entire room with their ebullient and playful scent. As I moved forward with planning out what to make, I could almost feel the world screaming out ‘Chocolate’ and it was very soon apparent that if both were jigsaw pieces, they would almost be inseparable.

Now chocolate and oranges have been an all time family favorite and it brings me to a smile every time I replay the time we have spent looking for someone who sells a bar of it just like we want it to be. I almost laugh at how easily weΒ  go weak in the knees for this match made in heaven and I couldn’t be happier with myself for bringing these flavours together on a plate.

Bringing it on the plate was in itself such close to me since I must have never tried so hard to not see a dish fail. I have been moved by the close resemblance of food to people. There are faces in your life which you know cannot let you down, cannot fail you and with this dark chocolate Panna cotta with Fleur de sel, a warm citrus caramel(syrup), orange segments, chocolate soil and mint,  I have been made open to the fact that food will never let you down and never make you feel failed. This resemblance has in whole been so real that it feels like fantasy, and nor did Alice and nor do I  feel like coming out of this wonderland called food.

27 Comments Add yours

1. Insider says:

Not going to the lie the dish sounds like it has come straight out of a MasterChef competition and even better it looks like it and with the writeup that followed I am certain that it even tasted like one. The dish looks beautiful and the writeup is beautifully penned ❀

Liked by 5 people

1. Shanyu says:

Whoa! This is some wonderful response to read today. Thank you so very much for this wonderful comment. I cannot thank you enough. I am absolutely grateful.
      Thank you for stopping by. May you have a wonderful day.

1. Insider says:

It was my pleasure (:
        Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful day as well.

2. Her says:

Looks delicious! The way you wrote about it made it more delicious in my mind.

Liked by 3 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so very much. It means so much. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving this comment. you must try Italian desserts when you can!

1. Her says:

It’s my pleasure, and you described it so well so I had to leave the comment. Definitely whenever I’ll get a chance to have an authentic one, I would love to. Thank You πŸ€—

2. Shanyu says:

That is really kind of you to say. I appreciate your kindness. I cannot wait for you to try it out. All the best friend. Cheers.

Liked by 1 person

3. My dearest friend, what a beautiful post. Yes, I love the cotton grapes but I LOVE chocolate and oranges together too. And mint! Fantastic!
    ” I have been made open to the fact that food will never let you down and never make you feel failed. ” You made me think here.
    Anyway did you save a bite for me? πŸ™‚
    Sending you plenty of love Shanyu.
    xoxoxo

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

Yay! As if the fact that you share my love for chocolate and orange wasn’t enough, you like mint too! Mint is like heaven.
      “You made me think here,” I hope it was in a good way. Actually I do realise the implications of that line, but I guess from my mirage, I see food that way.
      Anyways, thank you so very much for the comment. You humble me beyond words.
      As for the Panna cotta, you must not ask. It’s right there, by the fridge. Can you see the Panna cotta jiggle? πŸ™‚
      Sending you love and some amazing dark chocolate and sea salt bars I made.
      Hugs.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yay! We both like chocolate, oranges, and mint. That’s wonderful.
        “I hope it was in a good way.” Absolutely. Actually I am fascinated by your idea.
        “It’s right there, by the fridge.” Is not there anymore. I ate it πŸ™‚ It was delicious. You did not think it was going to last, did you?
        Sea salt bars? Are you kidding me? I love them. I can’t wait for them to get here.
        xoxo

2. Shanyu says:

“You did not think it was going to last, did you?”
        No probably notπŸ™‚
        “I love them.” You do? Don’t worry, they’re on their way!
        Love.

4. da-AL says:

such a great post β€” you are torturing us lol

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much! Didn’t mean to torture you guysπŸ˜‚

5. Jyoti Suresh says:

Hi, that looked delicious and sounded even more. I can actually taste it. Beautiful, looks like an art to me and really it’s an art to make as well as to describe it so beautifully. You are God gifted. Keep it up and all the best for many more such creations.

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

Wow! Thank you so very much. It means a lot to know that you like it. Thank you so much for this beautiful comment. Have a fantastic day.

6. besondersite says:

Oh my the dish looks absolutely amazing! You’re so talented, Shanyu!
    I agree with you. Food is indeed emotions on a plate! Love the last line πŸ˜‡

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much friend! I’m so glad you like it. I’m equally thrilled to know that you share the same views over food as I do. Cheers.

Liked by 1 person

7. Ah, the heart you put into your cooking must make the flavors something to remember! It’s certainly an elegant image. 😊

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

That is such a kind thing to say. Thank you so very much. I’m equally thrilled to know that you like the image.

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much.

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so very much kind one.

1. yassy says:

You are welcome wise one πŸ’•