In a salad state of mind!

My grilled German potato salad with fresh beet, charred white onion, watercress, basil and friseé (curled endive, chicory) with a perfectly tangy honey, chile dressing and sesame!

Na hallo fruende! Another wonderful week and I must say that it has been very healthy. You see, I just had another rendezvous with food and guess what? It had so much more to say!
Every time I have a brush with food, I believe it to be the last of our ‘chance meetings,’ and as you can already guess, I am endlessly proven wrong.
This week, it all began with the freshest of herbs the bosom of earth could provide: watercress, basil and of course, curled endive.
I’m stunned by the excellency of those tender leaves and supple stems rising from absolute nothingness into a realm of fierce competition. Risks are worth taking, and who better to tell you than the epitome of viridity, such tender plants fighting the weight of the earth to see the first of the golden clouds?   How satisfied would they be when they finally wander into their eternal slumbers. You see, death is inevitable, but what you make out of your lives is all that matters. You aren’t born to have nine lives of a cat, so all I can say is take risks. You’ll either succeed or you’ll fail, but you’ll take back with you something far more precious than what what you got from living that life inside a bubble. A plant surely knows that what lies above is disheartening, even painful, but it does not mean it won’t try to rise to see what lies beyond the myriad faces of hardships on earth.
Hardships turn a plant on and  like anything that goes down, it shall rise.
This however is just halfway of what I’ve learned from food this week.

With the perfectly pink beet, white onions and Yukon gold potatoes, there’s another perspective to what I learned from the herbs.
You see, not all individuals react in a similar way to situations. There are those who’ll take what comes and rise. They’ll risk everything to see the light of day, and they’ll succeed, someday if not today. They’ll fail, today, but never after that. However, there’s also those that cannot find a way out as fast as they want to. Some of these will perish poorly, but others? They’ll not. They’ll strive and take and build, and one day when they finally get to rise, it’s amazing how they not only have access to the sun above, but also to the experience down below.
The most difficult part of this will be accepting that you do not have a choice among rising quick or learning slow. That is fairly subjective. However, you sure have a choice between accepting the hardships or perishing under them. Everybody has a very large share of hardships, so what matters is not how large the shares of your problems are, but instead, how you choose to face them, becuase that is what life is: sometimes we rise, sometimes we learn and when life gives you the dirt, you make a perfect German potato salad! I didn’t intend for this food story to be so specifically heavy, but I’m happy with what comes out today, because life is also about living on the impulse and embracing serendipity. Believe me when I say that food is too.

63 Comments Add yours

1. francisashis says:

Very brave and your suggestion is noteworthy,’Death is inevitable so we should take risk’.I like your suggestion.Thanks for sharing.Take care.🌹👍🙏

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much F! That is a wonderful thing to say. I’m glad you agree. Take care too.

1. francisashis says:

Most welcome .🌹🙏

Liked by 1 person

2. Good thought, and a lovely salad!

Liked by 4 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so very much D!

Liked by 1 person

3. Very well written and that photo is so beautiful!

Liked by 3 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much friend. Those are wonderful words. I’m very proud of that salad and am glad to know you like it.

Liked by 2 people

4. Looks fabulous and a great title too!

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so very much K! Peace to you.

5. siaonara says:

Der Salat sieht lecker aus ❤️
    Keep ’em coming!
    And love the correlation between ingredients and life!

Liked by 4 people

1. Shanyu says:

Vielen Dank! Thank you for stopping by.

6. juliadeniro says:

Good-looking salad and good thoughts. Thanks for posting.

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much Julia! It is so kind of you. Have a fantastic day.

Liked by 2 people

7. Wise words. And now I’m hungry.

Liked by 3 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so very much Nico! Haha.

8. Sang says:

👌👌

Thank you so much Sang!

9. Ishita Gupta says:

Ooh…looks tempting!! Even I believe in trying new things, taking risks…also you have written this in a very captivating way Shanyu!!
    Hugs
    Ishita

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much Ishita! I’m so glad you like it. Thank you. Have a fantastic day.
      Hugs.

1. Ishita Gupta says:

My pleasure Shanyu!
        Have a wonderful day dear friend!!🧡

10. rushikant taur says:

such a fabulous writing shanyu

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day.

11. Hey Shanyu!
    We have nominated you for Sunshine Blogger Award!!
    Congratulations. Check it out at:

Hola RuSha.
      Thank you so very much for the gracious nomination. I am glad to receive this nomination. I however have to decline because of time constraints. I have had to turn down at least eight award nominations in the past couple of days and I think a little time off of the whole award thing is good for me. I hope you understand. It was a very gracious step indeed. Thank you and have a fantastic day.
      Yours,
      S.

12. Oh, you are a culinary artist. You are art!

1. Shanyu says:

Wow! Now that’s a new! Thank you so much G.
      I need to add, aren’t all of us art?

13. Shanyu, You are a truly multitalented person…writer, artist, chef! This salad looks like it came from a five-star restaurant! I enjoyed this post. Take care. Cheryl

1. Shanyu says:

That is such a wonderful comment. Thank you so much Cheryl. Your words mean so much. I’m glad you like it.
      Take care and have a fantastic day.

14. You are welcome. Have a wonderful day!

Liked by 1 person

15. This salad looks beautiful and delicious, but your words really give it personality too!

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much C! Have a fantastic day.

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much friend. It means a lot

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you friend. Blessed.

16. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    TASTY!

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much friend. Have a fantastic day.

1. I’ll try—it’s raining. 😦

Liked by 1 person

2. They are a little south of us by a few hundred miles…this rain came in from the west.

3. Shanyu says:

Oh okay. That’s great. I hope the weather clears up.

Liked by 1 person

4. (Sunday morning—it has!)

5. Shanyu says:

Hurray! Let the sun shine bright.

6. With a good, refreshing breeze!!!! 😀

7. Shanyu says:

A refreshing breeze it is!

17. Angelilie says:

I really like your beautiful blog. A pleasure to come stroll on your pages. A great discovery and a very interesting blog. I will come back to visit you. Do not hesitate to visit my universe. See you soon.

18. Tobias says:

I’m just beginning to change my diet. I decided to go vegan! I’ll be coming here often for new ideas on what to eat! Love your blog! Keep up the good work!

1. Shanyu says:

Hi. That’s a great step, not only for yourself, but also for the Earth. Thank you for the visit. I hope these food rendezvous help you with your diet. Thank you so much. Have a fantastic day.

1. Tobias says:

You to! Bless You!

19. Chocoviv says:

Looks delicious 😋!!!

1. Chocoviv says:

You’re welcome 😇

20. VB says:

Great post! Such a witty way of mixing gourmet culinary leafs of wisdom, self-improvement and philosophy of life and serenading spirituality. Subtle yet lovingly loaded prose. Keep them coming, such a nice contrast to your poetry.
    Great pic too – would love to have a taste of that fancy French-looking word salad too! Looks fresh, healthy and leafy – yet still colourful with all that beetroot red cheekiness. Great combo 😉

1. Shanyu says:

Wow V! You’ve really made my day with this kind comment. I’m so glad you like this post. I cannot thank you enough for this heart touching comment.
      And I don’t know how I thank you! Wow. You’ve left me speechless. Thank you dear friend.
      Btw, are you on WordPress? I do not seem to find your site. Please help me with it. I need to read works from this person who writes such amazing comments.
      Have a wonderful day.
      Yours,
      Shanyu.

1. vintageblack says:

Oh my. How rude of me to leave this without a reply. Didn’t see YOUR reply until now – as i posted it out of WP for some reason. Huh! Call me tech-savvy. 😀
        I am Vintage Black (aka Anna) – sincerly yours. Thanks so much for your words. Your poetry and prose are leaving ME speechless. Great beautiful and fancy word salads you have up there in your brains, keep mixing them up and teleporting them to me/us (I am not selfish) 🙂

Sincerly and poetically yours, and have a great day/evening/night, Anna

2. Shanyu says:

Yay! So you my friend are VB! I looked around for anyone who was VB, but it was interesting how we had an conversation the same day and it didn’t click.
        I love your responses Anna. It brings me joy to know that I can connect to my readers at this level.
        I haven’t got quite this honest and heart touching comment in a long long time. For that my friend, I cannot thank you enough.
        It instantaneously brings me a smile to see this. Thank you.
        Btw, the salads will be there!

Always,