Kintsugi – Honouring imperfection

Let me just take some of your time before you go through the poem. This week I have been inspired by a beautiful piece of Japanese art and philosophy called Kintsugi. The essence of this philosophy is honouring imperfection.

Imperfection is real,

Real is beautiful!

You can read more about kintsugi

here

As for the poem, here it is:

In this plastic world,

If you tip over and fall,

Shatter to a million pieces,

Can never stand tall,

You are porcelain,

And you will be flawed,

Called imperfect, fragile,

Walked over and clawed,

And then will you end up,

Broken for life,

Your pieces strewn over,

Waiting in strife.

Unless

You wipe your tears,

Step out in the cold,

Find all your pieces,

And dust them with gold,

Just a piece after piece,

As you’ll piece yourself back,

You fell having nothing,

Now there’s nothing you lack!

24 Comments Add yours

1. calmkate says:

What a delightful share … imperfection is absolutely fine … and broken things can be fixed!

Nice to meet you and welcome to WP 😉

Liked by 2 people

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so very much!

1. calmkate says:

my pleasure!

2. Smitha V says:

I had written a poem called ‘Cracks’ too but was not aware then of Kintsugi. Thank you for sharing this. Beautiful poem.

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much! I am glad I could be of help!

Liked by 2 people

3. Awesome poem 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾 Keep living! A wise Man once told me a simple statement which literally saved my life from a choice of suicide… from a place of hopelessness I grad a simple flash of light and road that beam to freedom. The statement which is profoundly simple is, “As long as you are Alive; YOU ALWAYS HAVE HOPE” That simple short yet powerful statement pulled me out of darkness and holds me to this day. I hope by me sharing this small part of my story. Foe anyone whoms life seems dark right now hold on to that simple statement and begin to cherish everyday Gifted to you. LIFE is an Eternal Experience… Don’t waste your Time here… Live Love and LEARN

1. Shanyu says:

Beautiful story! I am glad I could be of help!

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you 😊 keep sharing

Liked by 2 people

4. Very uplifting and mindful stuff on here, great to read and ponder in these difficult times. Greetings from Scotland.

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much!

5. ahenda fredrick says:

I call this ‘Beautiful Mess’
    Nice piece

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you Ahenda!

6. Jean-Jacques says:

So far of late, of they whom have chosen to follow my poetic reflections on my Poetry on a Canapé, the beauty of your creative and singular poetic manner, tops everything I’ve read since memory permits recall. Thus so, apart from subscribing to your blog site, I will respond with a piece of mine also dealing with ‘imperfection’ though coming at it somewhat differently, 15 years ago, to possibly arrive close to where yours rests now…I humbly suggest! Here it is;

“ Being Perfect ”

To construct,
    Words of import
    As meritorious I must,
    Apposed in a fashion
    To inspire interaction,
    Being perfect my resolve,
    Like a more inspired fellow
    May find within ones imperfection!

written in Grasse,Fr.
    © Jean-Jacques Fournier
    October 10, 2005

1. Shanyu says:

Firstly, thank you so much! It is a great achievement. Secondly, “Being perfect” is enlightening! Love the word choices.

7. Beautiful. We are stronger in the broken places. ❤

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so much dearest mate! Yes we are strong as long as we don’t surrender!

Liked by 2 people

8. Yleniaely says:

¡Tu poema es realmente maravilloso, me encanta mucho!!! 😍♥️♥️♥️
    El Kintsugi es sublime y tus preciosas palabras capturaron toda la esencia de este maravillosa arte!!! ❤️
    Tu espléndido poema ha tocado mucho mí corazón, mil gracias por compartirlo!
    Un abrazo muy fuerte lleno de afecto!!! 😘♥️

1. Shanyu says:

muchas gracias Y! Tienes palabras tan maravillosas para hablar. me has elevado Lamento no haber respondido antes. Estuve lejos de WordPress durante los últimos tres días. Muchas gracias. Es una conversación maravillosa. Cuídate. paz y saludos.

1. Yleniaely says:

¡Muchísimas gracias! 😘 Un abrazo muy fuerte y feliz domingo! 🤗💖

2. Shanyu says:

Feliz Domingo!

9. Sang says:

Nice comparison…Nice words… inspires us to overcome our hurdles in life and be at peace

1. Shanyu says:

Thank you so very much S! Your words are so very appreciated. Thank you. Take care.

10. Your beautiful writing made me aware of kintsugi which is close to wabi sabi – to embrace and find beauty in imperfection. I love the idea, from your poem, of gathering the broken pieces from one’s life and dusting them with gold. The way you see the world is beautiful.

1. Shanyu says:

Hi Leslie! Actually kintsugi is a subdivision of wabi Sabi which talks about beauty in imperfection. Your kind words have made me smile friend! I’m so glad to have you here and leave this lovely comment. Thank you for everything. Have a fantastic day.